Some cool two shots mould manufactory photos:
11-16 Tenby Street North – Jewellery Quarter – panoramic
Image by ell brown
On Tenby Street North in the Jewellery Quarter.
Grade II listed constructing at 11-16 Tenby Street North, Birmingham
A gold and silver plating manufactory developed in the Gothic style and erected in circa 1865.
Reason for Listing
Legacy Record – This details may possibly be incorporated in the List Entry Particulars.
The constructing comprising 11-16 Tenby Street North is a manufactory built in circa 1865. It was erected on the internet site of a large detached residence and grounds recognized as Camden Lodge, depicted on the Piggot-Smith map of 1862-71. The manufactory is believed to have been constructed for Abraham Kemp &Son, gold-plate makers. It is described on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (published 1890) as “Tenby Street Rolling Performs (Gold and Silver)” and it was getting operated as a gold and silver rolling mill by 1889. The buildings that ran from west to east at the rear, had been, based on aerial photographs, demolished amongst 1955 and 1992.
11-16 Tenby Street North forms an critical component of a street frontage produced up practically entirely of specialist industrial buildings characteristic of a manufacturing quarter of Birmingham now recognised as becoming of international significance.
Supplies: Constructed of red brick with blue brick detailing and painted stone dressings. C20 pantile roof covering.
Strategy: L-shaped complex, with lengthy street frontage range extending east to west with one particular gable finish chimney stack to east and three truncated ridge stacks. A gabled off-centre storeyed wing to rear a remnant of a formerly comprehensive rear section, proof of which is also visible to the east elevation of the rear range extending to the rear of No. 16.
Exterior: Two-storey and basement street frontage variety of twelve bays with pedestrian doorways to bays two, eight and twelve, a wide car entrance to bay 3 and a goods entrance to bay eleven. Window openings with drop- arched heads and moulded and rebated surrounds. C20 window frames set upon deeply-chamfered painted cills. Above, hood moulds with foliated stops. Moulded brick plat band and decorative eaves cornice. Wide arched goods entrance with spur stones to bay two, and to left, doorway with arch-headed fanlight. Major entrance to bay eight with double three-panel doors in a moulded reveal and a hexafoil fanlight. Wide goods entrance to bay eleven with C20 roller shutter. Rear elevation with gabled two and a half storeyed wing with multi-pane cast iron window frames. Range extending to the rear of No.16 which terminates with an eight bay range with axial stack and multi-pane cast iron window frames. Involves proof to the east elevation of this range of further buildings to the rear yard which have because been demolished.
Interior: No.16 is believed to retain some original drop stamps.
Source: English Heritage
Listed creating text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced below licence.
Panoramic created of two shots.